Saturday, May 5, 2012

Devonport Police Station - 1960s style

The 1960s Devonport Police Station that has nearly seen 50 years of use.
The Devonport Police Station is an example of 1960s architecture, an example of glass curtain wall, albeit in a smaller style.  Recently it was announced that Devonport would be getting a new police station to be located at a new site, whilst the current 1960s designed Police Station is building returned to the Devonport City Council.  The Devonport Police Station will be just shy of 50 years of its original use as a police station. Let's hope that the building will be reused and put to good use well into the future.

2 comments:

  1. Love the blue horizontals. Glad it's not going to be demolished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to high school in 1960 in a building that looked EXACTLY like that. Airy, light, easy to move about in and not totally closed in by heavy, red bricks. I wonder if heating the building in winter and cooling it in summer were problematic.

    Thank you. It brings back very fond memories :)

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews