Thursday, April 28, 2016

Glass Curtain Industry under a Storm - Hobart

I have to say this is one of my favourite industrial Modernist buildings in Tasmania.  There are several reasons why - the glass curtain wall, the way the concrete lips outwards over the footpath (so very 1950s/1960s) and whilst you cannot see it in the centre is an original neon sign adveritsing the business.  The entire building is all in original condition as it would have been when built, which is a joy to see and photograph as so many buildings from the period have either been demolished or altered.

The joy I find in photographing these buildings and showing them off in all their glory is the way weather plays a large role in providing mood.  I was walking around in what were very windy conditions and the storm clouds were rolling over fast.  This is one of the moments where it all came togather, moody clouds (which I always love) and a glimmer of sunlight hitting the facade of the building.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent. A curtain wall was loved because the thin framed wall was attached to the building structure and did not carry the building's weight. I suppose a curtain wall could be filled by any fine material, but glass was always the most glamorous.

    ReplyDelete

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews