Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Mercury Building - Launceston



I captured this photograph of this small modernist gem in Launceston, Paterson street.  This image forms part of my documenting 20th Century Modernism, but also forms part of my ongoing project "Abandoned Launceston - Death of a City" - this project can be seen on my website here http://www.tryanphotos.com/Projects/All/Art/n-XXM7sd

I love how it's nestled in between 3 Victorian buildings and of course the wonderful banding of light reflections on the road.

This is what I love in general about streetscapes, when they provide different periods and styles of design - it provides a rich visual story of the different periods of history. In this scene the architecture is some 100 years apart but they couldn't express their aspirations more different.  I often think about how common it is now for people who live in and visit Launceston to think of the Victorian period as "the" Launceston but before the late 1800s Launceston looked totally different in terms of architecture being a largely Georgian streetscape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews