Tuesday, December 5, 2017

The Power of Photography - Photographing Memory

In my decade long endevour in documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism I have witnessed a lot change in that time.  This is most evident this week where the landmark Modernist former Devonport Maternity Hospital will be demolished.  I visited and returned to the site many times over the years documenting the streamline architecture and as I pondered how many peoples lives were literally made in this building.  Standing abandoned for many years now I couldn't help but think how quickly a building can go from new cutting edge to decay, and ultimately, in the case of the Devonport Maternity Hospital, demolition. 

Photography for me is such a powerful medium.  I can capture a moment in time that has since been changed or lost forever, but the photograph provides a time portal in which to look back on our built environment, and in turn the people who worked in these buildings, and in the case of the Devonport Maternity Hospital, were born there.  Goodbye.

I will be remastering old photographs I've taken and be adding them to my website as well as on the Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism Instagram page over at https://www.instagram.com/tasmanianmodernism/



No comments:

Post a Comment

About the project

Join me (Thomas Ryan Photography) on a photographic project documenting Tasmanian 20th Century Modernism from the 1930's to the 1980's. The entire project gallery of 1000+ images and counting can be viewed on my website www.tryanphotos.com under art projects. I have been undertaking this project for over a decade.

My portfolio of commercial and art projects can be seen on my website www.tryanphotos.com and I can be contacted here as well. All photographs are copyright of Thomas Ryan Photography. Unauthorised use is prohibited. Contact me for all enquires

Total Pageviews